• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Getting a Speeding Ticket. What's the best course of action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riskyrobot2014

I am a CO resident and recently received a traffic citation for going 11 miles over the listed speed limit. I'm not too sure how I should deal with this exactly so I'm seeking advice. I have several questions. First, should I just try and pay the fine and take the reduced points? I have 16 days left to decide. Should I try and find a way to get it dismissed such as going trial and requesting a continuance in the hopes that the officer possibly doesn't show up? I've also heard that trial by mail presents a decent chance that the officer may not complete the paperwork resulting in the case being dismissed. I'm also wanting to inquire about the possibility of taking a defensive driving course to have the ticket dismissed and/or points taken off my record but I've heard CO does not have such a program in place. I mainly just don't want my insurance rate to raise. Also am I able to get a reduced insurance rate by completing a traffic school course and sending the results to the company in this state? Another thing, if I mail the fine am I able to send cash? I don't feel like writing out the check but I do have enough cash to pay the full fine on hand currently and would like to pay that way. Could I deliver the fine amount myself instead of mailing it? I've had negative experiences with the postal service in the past and don't want to risk them losing my money even though that seems unlikely. Just wondering. Thanks.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If you decide to pay the fine now, use a check or pay by credit card. Never ever mail cash. You could go to the court in person and pay cash, but if you do, make sure you get the receipt for that from the clerk. Your exact options will depend on whether the citation is for violation of a municipal ordinance or violation of the state statute. The former are heard in municipal court, the latter in county court, and the rules that apply will be slightly different between the two. A conviction for speeding at 11 mph generally would cost you 4 points on your license, and may result in insurance rate increases. You may contest the ticket if you want. If you do, it's possible that you could strike a plea deal with the prosecutor for something that would cost you less in points or no points at all, and reduce your fine, too. You can, as you mentioned, also pay within the 20 days, which is an admission of guilt, and get a reduction of points.

In Colorado no law guarantees that you can go to traffic school and get the ticket dismissed or points reduced. That's up to the court. If you go to court you can ask the court about whether you can go to traffic school to deal with the ticket. Doing the traffic school ahead of time therefore won't help you. Whether attending traffic school is something that would help you with the insurance company if you get dinged with point is something you have to ask your insurance company. Ideally on a first speeding ticket you want a resolution that avoids points altogether so that you dont have to deal with the insurance company.

Each court and prosecutor handles things a bit differently. You have the option to consult a lawyer before you do anything. A lot of initial consultations are free.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You should have posted this under traffic law. I assume there was no auto accident involved since you didn't mention anything about that.

Should I try and find a way to get it dismissed such as going trial and requesting a continuance in the hopes that the officer possibly doesn't show up?

You have no basis for getting the ticket dismissed. Officers get paid to be in court and sometimes it's even on overtime.

I've also heard...
Really? Those are among the most dangerous words in the English language.

I'm also wanting to inquire about the possibility of taking a defensive driving course to have the ticket dismissed and/or points taken off my record but I've heard CO does not have such a program in place.
Defensive driving courses do not get tickets dismissed. Again, you "heard". Why don't you find out from a definitive source, like the DMV or the court?

I mainly just don't want my insurance rate to raise.
Then I suggest paying attention to posted signs and pavement markings when you drive.

Also am I able to get a reduced insurance rate by completing a traffic school course and sending the results to the company in this state?
That has nothing to do with your ticket. Insurance companies often offer a small discount off of the liability portion of your insurance for regularly taking a defensive driving course. Many states permit the course to be taken online and it's relatively inexpensive.

I don't feel like writing out the check...
Gee, I feel sorry for you. :rolleyes:

Sending cash through the mail if just dumb. Try going to the court and paying in person.

What was the speed limit?
Going 11 over on a freeway, although still illegal, is not as bad as going 11 over in a school zone.

adjusterjack

First Time Getting a Speeding Ticket
You mean first time getting caught.

First, should I just try and pay the fine and take the reduced points?
That's up to you.

Should I try and find a way to get it dismissed such as going trial and requesting a continuance in the hopes that the officer possibly doesn't show up?
Isn't going to happen.

I've also heard that trial by mail presents a decent chance that the officer may not complete the paperwork resulting in the case being dismissed.
He already completed the paperwork.

I'm also wanting to inquire about the possibility of taking a defensive driving course to have the ticket dismissed and/or points taken off my record but I've heard CO does not have such a program in place.
Call the court and ask.

I mainly just don't want my insurance rate to raise.
Should have thought of that before you put the pedal to the metal.

Also am I able to get a reduced insurance rate by completing a traffic school course and sending the results to the company in this state?
Maybe. Ask your insurance agent.

Another thing, if I mail the fine am I able to send cash? I don't feel like writing out the check but I do have enough cash to pay the full fine on hand currently and would like to pay that way. Could I deliver the fine amount myself instead of mailing it?
You have to be nuts to mail cash. Bring it to court and get a receipt. Better to pay by check so you have a permanent record rather than risk losing the receipt (common) and have to pay again years later.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Defensive driving courses do not get tickets dismissed.
In Colorado the court has the discretion to dismiss the ticket if the driver completes a satisfactory driver education course. But the law does not guarantee that the driver is entitled to that and the court has to order it, so it's not something you do ahead of time.

ShyCat

I suspect the reluctance to write a check is that someone else on the account will then find out.:sneaky:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">