• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Purchasing on Craigslist, If things go wrong [Need Help]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beeadorabull

Hello! I live in Indiana.

This week I'm about to drive 3 hours to Illinois to purchase a custom computer that was built for me.
He's a seller on craigslist.

I know that everything sold on craigslist is as is but if the guy says it works numerous of time and has sent videos of it working and it doesn't work when I bring it home.
Do I have enough to go on to take him to small claims court?

I just want to prepare myself in case anything goes wrong and equip my arsenal before it's too late.

GoBoilers_MSU

Hello! I live in Indiana.

This week I'm about to drive 3 hours to Illinois to purchase a custom computer that was built for me.
He's a seller on craigslist.

I know that everything sold on craigslist is as is but if the guy says it works numerous of time and has sent videos of it working and it doesn't work when I bring it home.
Do I have enough to go on to take him to small claims court?

I just want to prepare myself in case anything goes wrong and equip my arsenal before it's too late.
One way to protect yourself is to enter into a written contract that sets expectations for each party. If you're buying a computer "as is," there isn't recourse.

adjusterjack

Then before you go, here's what I suggest.

Insist he give you a written warranty identified with the serial number. When you buy a new computer in the store you get a year's warranty. Some of these Craigslist computer builders give only 30 to 90 days.

Insist he give you the receipts for all the "new" parts he built the computer with, along with the boxes they came in, so you can identify the manufacturers and their individual warranties, and make sure he actually did build the computer with new parts.

If he isn't willing to comply, then I suggest you don't buy it.

However, if you have already paid him up front, you are pretty well screwed because he's not likely to provide any of that stuff and you'll have no choice but to take it as is since he has your money.

The bad part of all this: Even if you did get some sort of warranty, guess what, you get to drive 3 hours each way to drop it off and again to pick it up.

This deal was an incredibly bad idea to begin with, especially considering all the local places you could have bought brand new computers from, with real warranties, and even extended warranties if you wanted to pay for one.

I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">