• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first time speeding ticket -need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Acurakidd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City

I received a speeding ticket for the first time in my life. Was going 53mph in a 30 zone according to the cop. I don't believe I was going this fast. When the cop approached me and asked how fast was I going, I answered "I believe I was well within the speed limit" He replied I was going 53mph. I live in NYC, and according to the info on the back of the ticket, going 21mph+ gives you 6 points + $195 fine. 6 points = a Driver Responsiblity Assessment, which is another $300. I want to hire a lawyer to dispute this as much as possible. What are my chances? I've never been in trouble before, never been arrested, never had speeding tickets, never had moving violations, besides a couple seat belt tickets, parking tickets, and window tint tickets. What should I expect the outcome of this to be if I get a lawyer? What are reasonable rates for lawyer? What type of lawyer should I be looking for?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City

I received a speeding ticket for the first time in my life. Was going 53mph in a 30 zone according to the cop. I don't believe I was going this fast. When the cop approached me and asked how fast was I going, I answered "I believe I was well within the speed limit" He replied I was going 53mph. I live in NYC, and according to the info on the back of the ticket, going 21mph+ gives you 6 points + $195 fine. 6 points = a Driver Responsiblity Assessment, which is another $300. I want to hire a lawyer to dispute this as much as possible. What are my chances? I've never been in trouble before, never been arrested, never had speeding tickets, never had moving violations, besides a couple seat belt tickets, parking tickets, and window tint tickets. What should I expect the outcome of this to be if I get a lawyer? What are reasonable rates for lawyer? What type of lawyer should I be looking for?
What is your defense for driving over the limit? What evidence do you have that you were traveling less than 21+ mph over the limit? Honestly, you can't say whether or not you were actually traveling that speed or not. All you can say is that you "don't believe" you were, which means that even you aren't sure how fast you were moving.

There are probably tons of attorneys in the city that can help you fight the ticket. You're probably looking at $300-500 AN HOUR for their services, and even then, there's no guarantee they will be able to do much. They *MIGHT* be able to get the points count reduced, but you'll still end up spending the money for the attorney fees.

By all means, if you want to throw good money after bad, feel free to shop around for an attorney to fight this for you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Please stick to one thread. You already posted this in the wrong place - the mistake is made so just stay with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">