• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fitness and copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

south cal

Hi, I'd love to get some help about copyright and fitness. Can some "new" (unique) stretching moves and fitness exercises developed by a doctor be copyrighted? I want to make my own videos and written description though.
My compagnie is in California
Thanks a lot for your help!

quincy

Hi, I'd love to get some help about copyright and fitness. Can some "new" (unique) stretching moves and fitness exercises developed by a doctor be copyrighted? I want to make my own videos and written description though.
My compagnie is in California
Thanks a lot for your help!
Your videos and written descriptions are copyrighted once they are fixed in tangible form. You would hold the copyrights in what you videotape and what you write.

The doctor's stretching moves and fitness exercises, however, cannot be protected under copyright laws.

Your business name can be protected as a trademark and the names (labels) for the moves potentially could be protected as trademarks, as well.

There is a very slim chance the doctor's exercise moves could be/were eligible for a patent or are already patent pending or patented. A patent covering exercise moves would be rare - not unheard of, but rare - so this needs to be checked.

You can speak to an IP attorney in your area to go over your options for protecting your own business assets and investigating what rights might be held by the doctor. You do not want your business hit with an infringement action.

One other thing to consider with your videos are the one or ones doing the exercises. You will need releases to use their images in a commercial venture.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">