• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL FMLA & WC violations and retaliation..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M OReilly

Ok so I live in Florida (which is probably the problem) and I worked for the local electric company, my employer (a big company, over 30k employees) was contracted for vegetation management. Near the end of 2017 I re-injured my lower back and took FMLA (for fear of retaliation for claiming work comp) and the problems started.. First my supervisor refused to accommodate my restrictions, then harassed me in front of my coworkers about missing time (for the doctors appointments and pt), then denies me a cost of living raise (because I can't maintain a 40hr work week), then refused me 11hrs of vacation time I earned (because FMLA)....then I was involved in an otj accident in 2018 (suspicious) with my immediate supervisor (a pretty nasty sci) , due to his negligence and disregard for safety. I was forced to go to the hospital on my own, after the accident the general foreman showed up but no medical was even offered until a full week after, at which point my general foreman violated company policy to fire me (wc retaliation if I'm correct). With a family of 4 and a mountain of debt (not to mention the fragile mental state, we have also lost 3 family members in the past few years also) what can i do...? What legal options do I have? As far as evidence I have it all to back up my claims but everyone I talk will take the case but won't take it past a settlement demand....i can use it but I don't care much for money I want them to stop treating their employees like a disposable commodity.....ive seen them first hand threaten someone's position if they didn't sign away their wc rights...

quincy

Ok so I live in Florida (which is probably the problem) and I worked for the local electric company, my employer (a big company, over 30k employees) was contracted for vegetation management. Near the end of 2017 I re-injured my lower back and took FMLA (for fear of retaliation for claiming work comp) and the problems started.. First my supervisor refused to accommodate my restrictions, then harassed me in front of my coworkers about missing time (for the doctors appointments and pt), then denies me a cost of living raise (because I can't maintain a 40hr work week), then refused me 11hrs of vacation time I earned (because FMLA)....then I was involved in an otj accident in 2018 (suspicious) with my immediate supervisor (a pretty nasty sci) , due to his negligence and disregard for safety. I was forced to go to the hospital on my own, after the accident the general foreman showed up but no medical was even offered until a full week after, at which point my general foreman violated company policy to fire me (wc retaliation if I'm correct). With a family of 4 and a mountain of debt (not to mention the fragile mental state, we have also lost 3 family members in the past few years also) what can i do...? What legal options do I have? As far as evidence I have it all to back up my claims but everyone I talk will take the case but won't take it past a settlement demand....i can use it but I don't care much for money I want them to stop treating their employees like a disposable commodity.....ive seen them first hand threaten someone's position if they didn't sign away their wc rights...
You can speak to a worker’s compensation lawyer to see where you stand legally with a claim against your employer. Because of the extent of your medical history, a personal review will be necessary.

Good luck.

M OReilly

Most every lawyer I've talked to I would define as predatory. Im on my second wc lawyer and from what I'm seeing he steered that to a quick settlement (not finalized as of yet). The first wc doctor didn't even examine me, he walked into the room and claimed I'm fine and everything is pre-existing (put me at mmi with 0% disabled), the second doctor said I was messed up but nothing can be done (put me at mmi with 5% permanent disabled) ordered pt and facet injections (as opposed to surgery) but no one addressed the complaints I had. I got the appointment approved by wc and ready to schedule but was never told about it and forced into mediation where I was given an ultimatum. Either take the offered settlement (their "final offer") or see the doctor and get screwed...due to lack of care from the wc doctors the only way I would get the care I need would be out of pocket, I was given the choice of either a 20k settlement for an injury I didn't know the extent of or see the companies Doctor Who is going to Side with the employer and my settlement go down to 2k...I haven't seen a paycheck and been in debilitating pain for over the past year....not to mention the first lawyer quit because I wanted medical care instead of settling and the second tried to pull a fast one to bump up his pay and threatened to quit when I called him out on it...I suffer from mental health issues on top and I'm about ready to baker act myself because if all this...i tried employment law for the other issues but was told it wouldn't be worth the squeeze....how does an employer get away with violating an employees rights in such a black and white way...?!?

quincy

Most every lawyer I've talked to I would define as predatory. Im on my second wc lawyer and from what I'm seeing he steered that to a quick settlement (not finalized as of yet). The first wc doctor didn't even examine me, he walked into the room and claimed I'm fine and everything is pre-existing (put me at mmi with 0% disabled), the second doctor said I was messed up but nothing can be done (put me at mmi with 5% permanent disabled) ordered pt and facet injections (as opposed to surgery) but no one addressed the complaints I had. I got the appointment approved by wc and ready to schedule but was never told about it and forced into mediation where I was given an ultimatum. Either take the offered settlement (their "final offer") or see the doctor and get screwed...due to lack of care from the wc doctors the only way I would get the care I need would be out of pocket, I was given the choice of either a 20k settlement for an injury I didn't know the extent of or see the companies Doctor Who is going to Side with the employer and my settlement go down to 2k...I haven't seen a paycheck and been in debilitating pain for over the past year....not to mention the first lawyer quit because I wanted medical care instead of settling and the second tried to pull a fast one to bump up his pay and threatened to quit when I called him out on it...I suffer from mental health issues on top and I'm about ready to baker act myself because if all this...i tried employment law for the other issues but was told it wouldn't be worth the squeeze....how does an employer get away with violating an employees rights in such a black and white way...?!?
I am sorry you have been unable to find a lawyer you trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">