• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL renter's rights in flood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slhalufska

i have rented a house in FL for 2 1/2 yrs. my landlord requires me to cover the first $50 of each repair that may be necessary to the home. we had a major flood 2 days ago when the washing machine hose (which the landlord owns & maintains) let go. the entire contents of the home were under approx. 2 inches of water by the time i returned from work. the insurance adjuster states that the landlord's policy does not cover the contents, and since i do not have renter's insurance, i must bear the cost myself. there was significant damage to all of my wood furniture & some upholstered items. what are my rights?

D

dj1

NONE......you screwed up, you didnt have renters insurance.....

So what is so important in your life that you dont have $19 a month........ YES $19 a month.... and you would have all your property covered!

This is a VERY VERY expensive lesson in LIFE SKILLS!

S

slhalufska

dj, I thank you for your reply. I've seen your replies to other inquiries on this subject. Are you an attorney, an insurance agent, a landlord? I'm trying to figure out where your hostility comes from. FYI, my insurance agent does not offer renter's insurance in my area because it is in a flood zone, which is most of the nicer properties on the Florida west coast. I do understand that under most circumstances, I would be S.O.L., however, given the fact that I DO (and have)pay the first $50 of any repairs, that might put a different spin on the situation. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with insurance or legal experience in this matter. Again, thanks for your input. (I'd also like you to please note the bold, red directive that is located ABOVE the reply box that encourages considerateness, respectfulness & politeness in replies)

D

dj1

Well you screwed up.......why do you live in a flood zone if your furniture and posessions are so important to you?

Dont they have any 2nd floor apartments or higher locations?

NEXT time you will research your potential living situation better... and avoid this problem...

NO kiddo i am a renter just like you, but I have certain things i require before i sign a lease...

Such as an easy entrace to the house, cement sidewalk, NO stones rocks, dirt pathway...plus wide stairs to the 2nd floor apartment, parking .....I am a dj so i have to bring my equipent in and out of the apartment, so i cant have.. no sidewalks.. dirt driveway, tiny narrow stairs.... and no place to park at 1 2 or 3 am when i come home from a gig.....

And I must be able to get renters insurnce for my stuff

NOT to mention I am the first to get DSL, so moving is NOT an option untill more of my area is wired..

Well there are hundreds of insurance agents HOW MANY did you call and were refused?

IF you had... say letters from 6 agents, then maybe you could try and sue his homeowners insurance company, on the premise that the landlord contents are covered and you made a dilligent attempt to get your own insurance.

[Edited by dj1 on 06-04-2001 at 09:23 PM]

S

slhalufska

you know, dj, you're a b***buster! I checked about 4 insurance companies, none of which would write a renter's policy. I live in a HOUSE because I prefer a house to an apartment. (houses, in Florida, are typically one level -they don't usually do two stories unless the first one is basically an underground garage. Can't have basements here, the sea level is too high - & don't even think about making a crack about 'that's what you get for living in Florida'. The same thing happened to me in CT, I lived 2 miles from the beach & the insurance companies wouldn't write me because my zip code was considered "flood zone") Even if it were an apartment, it wouldn't make any difference if my laundry room were still on the same level with the rest of the living area.

Do you think that your first question was a bit on the 'ridiculous' side? Of course, no one's possessions are THAT important to them. At least I would hope. I certainly will try harder to find someone who WILL write a policy, but until then, like I said - given the fact that my landlord expects me to pay the first $50 of all repairs to the home, I would think that would make some difference in her liability to cover any damaged goods due to her equipment's malfunction - otherwise, I'd just as soon take her w/d out of the house & replace it with my own.

Let's just speculate, however, that I DID have renter's insurance. What if, during the course of my lease, I suffered a flooding of the house due to a sprung washing machine hose, a fire due to an old stove, or damage to the contents of my home because of a leaking roof during a rainstorm. Should I have to bear the burden of replacing my things because of the landlord's negligence or failing property condition? If I were the responsible party for the maintenance of the property, per a lease agreement, would I not be responsible for the repairs to the property itself if I neglected to maintain the property?

Your major concern is your livelihood. Without your dj equipment, you would not be able to work, thus earn a living. That incentive usually outweighs the normal renter's concern about a potential catastrophe damaging their property.

Again, thanks for your reply. Was nice 'bantering' with you.

D

dj1

Well then you really have no choice but to see a lawyer to find out what the Florida law is about damage to property.

And you probably will have to sue the landlord and his insurance company in small claims court and let a judge decide.

The only other solution, is NEVER to buy any expensive items if you cant get insurance.

BOY then you would have lots of money to save and maybe able to buy a home on higher ground.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">