• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flashing Headlight Statutue in AL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAnotherDude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

By any chance is there a statute in Alabama that addresses flashing headlights?

Evidently there is a Florida statute that states that it is illegal to flash your lights.

Title XXIII, chapter 316, rule 2397, subsection 7, to be precise. "Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway"

Do you know if Alabama has a similar statute against flashing your headlights or states something similar to this?

Thanks for any feedback.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I don't think it does, IIRC. There was an article on the Bham News site (al.com - Everything Alabama) by 'Driving Miss Crazy' Ginnie McDonald that addressed this recently.

ETA: I looked at the Alabama Statutes concerning Motor Vehicles and Traffic and did not see anything... http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/22786.htm

You can always call the nearest State Trooper office and see what they say. But I don't think it's illegal. I've had police officers flash their headlights in my rear-view a time or two (not that I was doing anything wrong, they just wanted to be where I was).

Last edited:

JETX

Actually, there is an Alabama Code section that could apply here....

Section 32-5-252
Approval of lighting devices; prohibited lamps and devices; regulations; lists of approved devices to be published.

(a) No person shall have for sale, or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or use upon any such vehicle any head lamp, auxiliary or fog lamp, rear lamp, signal lamp or reflector, which reflector is required hereunder, or parts of any of the foregoing which tend to change the original design or performance, unless of a type which has been submitted to the director and approved by him. The foregoing provisions of this section shall not apply to equipment in actual use when this section is adopted or replacement parts therefor.

There is also an opinion as such from the Alabama AG's office (though it pertains to under vehicle neon lights, it could be construed to include ANY lighting modification). It can be found online at:
http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/9500065.pdf

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP was a bit vague, but I got the impression that he was speaking about flashing headlights to pass another vehicle...

JETX

OP was a bit vague, but I got the impression that he was speaking about flashing headlights to pass another vehicle...
Possible... but that case would NOT be illegal in Florida (or any other state).
Having flashing headlights ON a vehicle is clearly illegal in Florida (and most other states).

ecmst12

ALL vehicles have flashing lights. They're called hazard lights. Evidentally, it's illegal to drive with them on in Florida.

JETX

ALL vehicles have flashing lights. They're called hazard lights. Evidentally, it's illegal to drive with them on in Florida.
I guess you misunderstood when the OP said "By any chance is there a statute in Alabama that addresses flashing headlights?", huh??

ecmst12

Title XXIII, chapter 316, rule 2397, subsection 7, to be precise. "Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway"
That sounds like it's illegal to drive with hazard lights turned on.

The ACT of flashing one's headlights does not appear to be addressed. I'm sure in any state, anyone who tried to drive around with headlights that flashed all the time, on their own, would get pulled over in about 5 minutes. But why would anyone do that?

JETX

But why would anyone do that?
There is no explanation for what some idiots want to do to their vehicles. Who the hell would even consider mounting neon or fluorescent lights UNDER their vehicle??

Having flashing headlights (like squad cars) might just be the next big 'thang'. Also, I have seen them on some road work vehicles.

tholt4

OP - Do you mean flashing your headlights to warn oncoming motorists about a speed trap or police in the area?

You Are Guilty

If this is in reference to flashing one's headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap, I vaguely recall there being case law out there overturning such tickets. (I want to say it was on 1st Amendment grounds, if anyone's up for some googling).

JETX

If this is in reference to flashing one's headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap, I vaguely recall there being case law out there overturning such tickets. (I want to say it was on 1st Amendment grounds, if anyone's up for some googling).
I remember the same....
Now, we just have to figure out what the hell the OP was trying to ask about..... LOL

JustAnotherDude

Thanks for the leads...

Looks like Alabama has similar code as the Florida statute (here is what I found):

Section 32-5-241

Section 32-5-241
Additional permissible lights on vehicles.

(4) Flashing lights may be used on motor vehicles as a means of indicating a right or left turn; a stop lamp may pulsate with different intensities provided that it meets at all intensities the provisions of subdivision (2) of subsection (b) of this section; and the warning lights on emergency vehicles may flash.

(b) (2) A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 100 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime and a signal lamp or lamps indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 100 feet both to the front and rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, such lamp or lamps shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No stop lamp or signal lamp shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

JustAnotherDude

I think OP is annoyed because someone was flashing lights at him to get him to move out of their way.
Good guess, but actually I am having problems with my new 2008 automobile where the headlights and tail lights blink/dim/flash randomly while driving at varying intensities and at all speeds from 0 mph - 55 mph. Of course it is most noticeable at night.

Took it to the dealer and manufacturer and they said that it is a "normal" characteristic. Other drivers have noticed the flashing because they think I am "flashing" them or brake checking them. Also, I feel it is a safety issue for me, and am pursuing BBB Auto Line action right now against the manufacturer.

I just started thinking that there may be state statutes against driving with flashing/blinking lights (is not even a hybrid) and I am beginning to think there may be something in it. Hopefully I can put the data together to help my case in the BBB Auto Line argument.

So, thanks again for your feedback and insights. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">