• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flex spending reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobHoward

What is the name of your state? I'm in Washington State, although my employer is legally in Colorado.

I have belonged to the company's flexible spending health care plan for several years (aka cafeteria plan, section 125 plan). I have always submitted my reimbursement form towards the end of March for the prior plan year, and received reimbursement with no trouble.

I did the same thing this year (submitted a reimbursement form in March 2005 for plan year 2004), and was told I missed the deadline. Forms needed to be in within 60 days from the end of 2004 this year.

Sure enough, I went back and looked at my enrollment paperwork, and it did mention the 60 day deadline. So, I'm clearly in error here, but I can't help but feel wronged. I followed the same procedures I'd followed for several years, but due to a small edit in the enrollment paperwork that I overlooked, my "savings account" has turned into a gift for the plan administrators.

The plan administrators are now refusing to reimburse my money. Do I have any legal recourse here? Are the plan administrators bound by any laws to allow reimbursements up to a certain deadline, or after a "good-faith" attempt like this?

Thanks,
Bob

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They are bound to allow reimbursements up till the date in the plan document, which cannot be later than 90 days after the end of the plan year. So if the plan document says 60 days, they don't have to allow it for 90 days because you didn't read the materials carefully enough. Sorry.

FSA's are very strictly regulated because of the pre-tax factor. Good faith is not enough.

Why are you waiting till the end of the year to submit your expenses? Why are you not submitting them as you incur them? Then you wouldn't have to worry about when the last day to submit them is.

ablessin

no, there is no legal recourse....... sorry for your loss.

FSA's tell you think carefully of what your expenses may be for the year - in addition to the final date to submit a claim, also, if you elect $500 to your FSA, and only use $450 - you lose $50......

60 days into the new year is plenty of time to get a claim in.........
It could be either a change in their policy from last year OR it could have been an error on the part of the person who procssed your application.

I'd leave it be- there is nothing you can do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">