• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooded engine!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? California

My boyfriend was in Big Bear offroading. He accidentally got stuck in a stream and the engine was submerged in water, thus ruining the engine. We thought this would be covered under comprehensive damages under his insurance policy. However, the adjuster is trying to say we have to pick up some of the tab because of "wear and tear" on the engine. However, the engine would have never suffered this kind of damage if it wasn't for this accident so we know it didn't break because of wear and tear.

Is it right that we have to pay for it? Shouldn't Comprehensive Coverage cover this situation? Please help! What are our rights?


Senior Member
you are entitled to a comparable engine not a new engine.

For example, your boyfriend has 100,000 miles on the engine. he submerges it in the stream and now tells his insurance he wants a brand new engine. The carrier will pay him for the value of an engine that has 100,000 miles on it not a new engine.


I am a little surprised that they are covering it at all. I thought I heard one time that if the vehicle is so many feet off of a public road or driveway that this type of thing wouldn't be covered. I don't know if this is right or not. Maybe it depends on the type of policy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential