• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

flooding-broken city tile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marrenzy

Indiana

We have a broken tile in our small neighborhood. The city is aware of the problem and is not doing anything about it b/c they claim they don't know where the broken tile is. However 4 families are getting their basements flooded with any amount of rain. We have had 2.5 ft of water in our basment and had to replace a washing machine and carry out everything else that was in the basement.

We now need to sell the house to move to VA to be near family b/c of a death in the family. Yet we have been told we can't sell the house b/c it is flooding, and no one will buy it.

I have no idea where to start!

HELP>>>>>>>>>
[email protected]

i would check with a lawyer. in most states people who have sued have won if it has not been a one time situation, or a act of God. They know about it, someone does not want to spend the money to fix it. they can send someone in with a camera(remt one) and find out exactly where it is if it is broken (I have run one before in as small as a 4inch line) some commmunities have there own equipment(without the truck you can get set up for about 15,000 dollars) . but i think this is a lame excuse!!! does it back up out of the floor drains? this is too small of a line and i bet the storm drains are not seperated from the sanitary. some states require treatment (at least primary) of stormwater but the lines are old and too small .so when it rains hard the flow is too much and it backs up whrerever there is a low spot in the line. even if you do not have any storm drains in your neighborhood you could be "down stream" from a large parking lot or a main road with drains. or your water might flow into a lift station(preasurized pumping system) which is too small to handle the added flow and it backs up. hope this helps oh when it happens always use bleach to wash the floor down when cleaning up, too much bacteria

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">