• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooding caused by neighbor's landscaping - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Hi. I live in Alpharetta, GA. I am a homeowner and would really appreciate some advice. My property line is 8 feet outside of my fenced in backyard on one side. I did that purposely as I did not want to have my fence on a water easement. 2 years ago, my new neighbor asked if they could attach their fence to mine (over property line). I said "fine, but the city could have an issue due to water drainage." Since then, and particularly over the last 6 months, these neighbors have done major landscaping. When Hurricane Charlie came through, my house flooded (not basement, entire downstairs living area). With a 3 year old, this was horrendous - not just material loss, but terrible living conditions. Insurance did not cover since it was considered ground water flooding - I'm not on a flood plain. Just as we were recovering and new hardwoods were ordered, another heavy rain occured and once again huge flooding (3 inches deep). The water line on the back of my house was over a foot. Remember, I've been here for over 10 years with no issue. I called the city and they came out. The culvert was completely clogged w/landscaping material. I have pics, video, supportive city report, etc. Someone had installed a grate over the culvert (neighbor denies). I think it's probably been there all along, but the new landscaping mulch, rocks, etc. clogged it. I had a survey performed and the property line is directly down the center of the culvert. Not only has the neighbor joined her fence to mine, she has landscaped on 8 feet of my property. Obviously I regret letting them join to my fence and need to correct. Is there anyone who can help? I think I need to send a certified letter asking for removal of everything from my property, but don't know where to start. I've contacted 2 lawyers in Atlanta, and they'll charge minimum of 1000 to even review the case. I'm out over 25K. Any advice would be so appreciated :) Regards, Maria S. Oliver



Maria, this is really too "fact specific" for us to be able to answer.

An alternative would be to get an engineer who knows about stuff like that and to get a report on whether this is being caused by your neighbor.

If the engineer's report says it is being caused by your neighbor, show him the report and start negotiating.

Also, contact your state bar and ask them if they have neighborhood mediation programs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential