• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooding in my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?

My side yard sits lower than my neighbors. He has a pool and has a leak that is now flooding into my yard. Nice guy, but itsn't willing to spend the money to fix the problem. I get flooding at least 3 times a month and call him each time. I have already lost 3 plants, I have 2 redwoods that I am sure are getting root damage from the water.
What to do?


Senior Member
scc said:
What to do?
Start by writing your neighbor a very nice letter (certified RRR so you have proof of reciept) explaining the problem, asking for him to fix it, and include a POLITE request for compensation for the damages caused by his negligence. Include a DETAILED estimate of the damages, preferably from a 3rd party (landscaper, etc.). Also, include that if he fails to remedy the problem, he will be liable for any other damages caused.
Then, if he fails to remedy and pay.... your next step is small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential