• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrAron

Florida
Quick question. Scenario is my car is parked, someone behind me coming out of a school hits my driver side rear bumper. School cop takes down info, takes a month to complete police report. Police report is perfectly complete. I contact state farm other drivers Insurance, they review claim. After a month they state they have tried many times to contact person involved in accident, they deny claim on sole reason of this plus they say police report is not enough for accept liability. My question now is I have to use my own insurance company, can I SUE in small claims court the other driver for my deductible under Florida Law.

adjusterjack

can I SUE in small claims court the other driver for my deductible under Florida Law.
No.

Read your policy. It requires that you protect your company's right of subrogation.

Your company will subrogate for the full amount of your claim and will refund your deductible when they collect.

If they can't collect you will then get their consent to sue for your deductible.

Which will probably be a waste of time and money because a person that doesn't respond to his insurance company isn't likely to respond to a lawsuit and a default judgment is likely to be uncollectible.

quincy

Florida
Quick question. Scenario is my car is parked, someone behind me coming out of a school hits my driver side rear bumper. School cop takes down info, takes a month to complete police report. Police report is perfectly complete. I contact state farm other drivers Insurance, they review claim. After a month they state they have tried many times to contact person involved in accident, they deny claim on sole reason of this plus they say police report is not enough for accept liability. My question now is I have to use my own insurance company, can I SUE in small claims court the other driver for my deductible under Florida Law.
You did contact your own insurance company at the time of the accident, right?

zddoodah

Scenario is my car is parked, someone behind me coming out of a school hits my driver side rear bumper. School cop takes down info, takes a month to complete police report. Police report is perfectly complete. I contact state farm other drivers Insurance
Did you contact the other driver's insurer immediately? You didn't wait for a police report for something this minor, did you?

now is I have to use my own insurance company, can I SUE in small claims court the other driver for my deductible under Florida Law.
You can, but I suggest you confer with your insurer's claims rep about how best to handle the situation. Once your insurer pays the claim, it will seek reimbursement of both the amount paid for repairs and your deductible from the other driver and the other driver's insurer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">