• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - Child Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joelw0514

I have a question in regards to my 14 year daughter. My ex-wife and divorced when she was 5 years and our final judgement from the courts was we had shared rotating custody. So basically I had her for a week then she had her for a week. We also rotated holidays as well. This went on for 9 plus years. Now, as of last November I was offered a promotion at my Job that required me to move to the sate of New Jersey. After a extremely difficult decision I decided to take the job and filed a temporary petition to relocate with my daughter. Now because I had to move quickly on moving myself, wife and 3 other children to new jersey, and find a house and move in. Now, while up her I filed a petition to relocate with my daughter. I also filed a long distance parenting plan as well. The judge told us that we should try mediation which that didn't work either. Now we are scheduled to go to our final hearing at the end of August. I will be flying down to attend it. My question is what do I need to come prepared with to have any chance at winning this case? Also I don't have a lawyer. I cant really afford one. Will lesson my chances of winning? My daughter is currently living in Florida until everything is figured out. I have a lot of legitimate reasons why its in my daughters best interest to move.

Thanks

Joel

t74

Why is in your daughter's best interest to leave her home and mother just to be with you?

You REALLY need an attorney, and then without compelling reasons why your DD should be with you, you need to rethink your position

I hope the long distance parenting plan is one you can live with as the NCP.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Like what? As opposed to why Mom will argue it is in her daughter's best interests to remain in FL?
How much time have you spent with your daughter while in NJ?

p.s. And yeah - you need a lawyer. When Mom prevails, expect to pay for transportation for your LD parenting time.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Please proofread before posting your answers to everyone's questions. There were a lot of typos in your original post. Rewriting and adding white space:

State: FL
I have a question in regards to my 14 year daughter. My ex-wife and I divorced when she was 5 years. Our final judgement from the courts was we had shared rotating custody. So basically I had her for a week then she had her for a week. We also rotated holidays as well. This went on for 9 plus years.

As of last November I was offered a promotion at my Job that required me to move to the sate of New Jersey.

I decided to take the job and moved with my wife and 3 other children to NJ.

I filed a temporary petition to relocate with my daughter. I also filed a long distance parenting plan as well.

The judge told us that we should try mediation. That didn't work.

We are scheduled to go to our final hearing at the end of August. I will be flying down to attend it.

What do I need to come prepared with to have any chance at winning this case? I don't have a lawyer; I can't really afford one. Will this decrease my chances of winning?

My daughter is currently living in Florida until everything is figured out. I have a lot of legitimate reasons why its in my daughters best interest to move.

Thanks

Joel
Joel, you will get some form of long distance parenting plan with your daughter visiting you and you paying for transportation.

Because Mom is now the residential parent, with your daughter spending far more than 50% of the time with her, child support should also be revisited and recalculated to reflect the current situation.

It is unclear to all of us why you believe that it is in your daughter's best interest to move.

You have not indicated that Mom is an unfit parent, and at this point Mom has the status quo of your daughter living with her.

ajkroy

I certainly wouldn't move across the country and leave my child with an unfit parent and guaranteed long stretches of uninterrupted parenting time. The judge will ask you why you did exactly that, if that is what you are planning to say.

LdiJ

I have a question in regards to my 14 year daughter. My ex-wife and divorced when she was 5 years and our final judgement from the courts was we had shared rotating custody. So basically I had her for a week then she had her for a week. We also rotated holidays as well. This went on for 9 plus years. Now, as of last November I was offered a promotion at my Job that required me to move to the sate of New Jersey. After a extremely difficult decision I decided to take the job and filed a temporary petition to relocate with my daughter. Now because I had to move quickly on moving myself, wife and 3 other children to new jersey, and find a house and move in. Now, while up her I filed a petition to relocate with my daughter. I also filed a long distance parenting plan as well. The judge told us that we should try mediation which that didn't work either. Now we are scheduled to go to our final hearing at the end of August. I will be flying down to attend it. My question is what do I need to come prepared with to have any chance at winning this case? Also I don't have a lawyer. I cant really afford one. Will lesson my chances of winning? My daughter is currently living in Florida until everything is figured out. I have a lot of legitimate reasons why its in my daughters best interest to move.

Thanks

Joel
Joel, realistically this case is NOT a winner for you...not unless you have a ton of stuff that you haven't told us, and if you do have a ton of stuff, then the fact that you let things continue on an every other week rotation for nine years will totally work against you.

On top of that, without an attorney you are in even worse shape. You would have been in better shape had you negotiated a favorable long distance parenting plan (for you) in medidation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I certainly wouldn't move across the country and leave my child with an unfit parent and guaranteed long stretches of uninterrupted parenting time. The judge will ask you why you did exactly that, if that is what you are planning to say.
And if the "reasons" are more along the lines of: "spend more time with her half/step siblings", "step-mom is stay at home mom, while mom works full time", "we have a house with a swimming pool and mom lives in an apartment", and "the school system is great!" - well then, those are also not great legal reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">