• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Child Support extension, and modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida -(payor/non custodial parent)- My child support order i pay for under Florida, (Okaloosa county), law ends when my son turns 18 in September 2018( less then three months), but i know he starts his senior year in August the month before so i know that she will ask for an extension until he graduates. This support order is an administrative order that started in August 2015, it hits the 3 year mark in just a month and my understanding is that every three years she can ask for a review and increase order but i was told 2 years ago on another order i was finishing paying for that they (child support) does not allow modifications during the final 12 months. The child support people themselves at the office during my meeting, (on an almost finished order), told me this. So my question is if the child, soon to be adult, is not severely mentally or physically disabled (handicapped), and we are in the final 2 months of the administrative order and she ask's for an extension of the order until he graduates high school which would be June of 2019. Can she ask for and get an increased modification order when the child support website states that she must ask before the final 6 months of the order or does the extension she will ask for and most likely get change all of this and i will be forced to pay more in support??????? Also the child and mother reside in Texas but again it's a Florida Child support Administrative Order as he was born here in Florida.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida -(payor/non custodial parent)- My child support order i pay for under Florida, (Okaloosa county), law ends when my son turns 18 in September 2018( less then three months), but i know he starts his senior year in August the month before so i know that she will ask for an extension until he graduates. This support order is an administrative order that started in August 2015, it hits the 3 year mark in just a month and my understanding is that every three years she can ask for a review and increase order but i was told 2 years ago on another order i was finishing paying for that they (child support) does not allow modifications during the final 12 months. The child support people themselves at the office during my meeting, (on an almost finished order), told me this. So my question is if the child, soon to be adult, is not severely mentally or physically disabled (handicapped), and we are in the final 2 months of the administrative order and she ask's for an extension of the order until he graduates high school which would be June of 2019. Can she ask for and get an increased modification order when the child support website states that she must ask before the final 6 months of the order or does the extension she will ask for and most likely get change all of this and i will be forced to pay more in support??????? Also the child and mother reside in Texas but again it's a Florida Child support Administrative Order as he was born here in Florida.
The law in FL is that child support goes to age 18 or graduation from high school, whichever occurs later. Therefore your child support goes until your child graduates high school. Therefore she does not have to ask for an extension. Is she threatening to file for a modification for more support? If not, then you probably do not want to rock the boat.

justalayman

The law in FL is that child support goes to age 18 or graduation from high school, whichever occurs later. Therefore your child support goes until your child graduates high school. Therefore she does not have to ask for an extension. Is she threatening to file for a modification for more support? If not, then you probably do not want to rock the boat.
It ends at 19 regardless of the high school issue. My answer was writtten as poorly as yours.

Hopefully this makes it clearer:

It ends at 18 if the child has graduated by that time. If not, it will continue until they graduate or the age of 19, whichever comes first.

LdiJ

It ends at 19 regardless of the high school issue. My answer was writtten as poorly as yours.

Hopefully this makes it clearer:

It ends at 18 if the child has graduated by that time. If not, it will continue until they graduate or the age of 19, whichever comes first.
That is not the language I got when I googled it, but I will take your word for it. It makes more sense that way.

justalayman

That is not the language I got when I googled it, but I will take your word for it. It makes more sense that way.
Well, taking your statement verbatim child support could run forever since it didn’t end until graduation. I’ve seen kids that have never graduated from high school :eek:

I suspect what you read was written as confusing as my first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">