• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida ROC rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGT516

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I live in a Resident Owned (55+) manufactured home community in Florida.

Apparently, our Board of Directors made a deal with a real estate firm that gave them the exclusive right to sell new homes in the park.

If you want to purchase a Palm Harbor, Jacobsen, Skyline or Champion home you must use this agent. They are the authorized Palm Harbor dealer in this area but do not have exclusive agreements with the other 3 manufactures.

This agency is free to set the price of the home with no fear of competition. There have been cases of residents doing some comparison shopping and discovered they can be substantially more than the competition. It doesn't matter.

I guess my question comes down to the fact that this hurts the buyer and the BOD in essence handed this agency a monopoly.

I would think this falls under some violation of Federal Anti-Trust laws.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

adjusterjack

There's no question in there despite your use of the phrase "my question."

What is your goal?

And how much money do you have set aside to pursue it?

SGT516

There's no question in there despite your use of the phrase "my question."

What is your goal?

And how much money do you have set aside to pursue it?
Sorry about that, I'm trying to learn if it's within their legal power for the BOD to give this exclusive home sales right (monopoly) to this agency.

They can't tell me which market to shop for my groceries, what home repair person to use, what real estate agent to list my home with etc. The fact that they dictate who you must by a new home from doesn't pass the smell test.

I am reading Chapter 719 of the Florida Statutes that address cooperatives but will admit, I'm getting cross eyed.

And no, it's not worth winning a 25K battle to save 15k on a home purchase but that's currently irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">