• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johnny138

I was arrested and convicted in Florida about 30 years ago. I was given probation and a couple months later I got the probation transferred out of state (to Vermont). I met with the PO in Vermont once and was basically told not to worry about reporting and just stay out of trouble. I still had fines in Florida with an agreement that they could be resolved with community service. I continued to do community service and eventually I received a letter from the sheriffs office that arrested me stating my obligation was met.

I have recently discovered that I have and open violation of probation case in Florida. I don't understand why and would love to get this resolved (I have family there that I visit from time to time). I no longer have the letter (it was almost 30 years ago). Is there any way I can make this go away? Any ideas?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was arrested and convicted in Florida about 30 years ago. I was given probation and a couple months later I got the probation transferred out of state (to Vermont). I met with the PO in Vermont once and was basically told not to worry about reporting and just stay out of trouble. I still had fines in Florida with an agreement that they could be resolved with community service. I continued to do community service and eventually I received a letter from the sheriffs office that arrested me stating my obligation was met.

I have recently discovered that I have and open violation of probation case in Florida. I don't understand why and would love to get this resolved (I have family there that I visit from time to time). I no longer have the letter (it was almost 30 years ago). Is there any way I can make this go away? Any ideas?
A Florida criminal defense attorney is likely your best bet.

LdiJ

I agree with the other two responses. An attorney may possibly be able to make this go away without any appearances on your part. Doing it yourself, from out of state no less, is just going to be complicated.

quincy

The charging agency in Florida needs to sign off on the satisfaction of the terms of your probation and the sentencing judge/court needs to actually terminate your probation. This termination of probation should be recorded by the court.

Your case remains open in Florida until the judge terminates your probation.

The probation violation showing up in Florida could simply be a failure somewhere along the way to properly record your completion of community service, in lieu of fines.

I agree with the others that an attorney would be a big help in getting your case in Florida closed. An attorney in Vermont could be able to handle all of this for you without you having to return to Florida.

Vermont Bar: https://www.vtbar.org/find-a-lawyer/

Florida Bar: https://floridabar.org/public/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">