• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Griggsarleen

When we divorced my ex-husband agreed to pay child support. He was laid off last month and he refused to pay for child support though he has savings. What should I do?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
When we divorced my ex-husband agreed to pay child support. He was laid off last month and he refused to pay for child support though he has savings. What should I do?
Unless and until your ex-husband goes to court and gets the (court ordered) child support modified, he owes what the court order says he owes.

You have some choices.
You can choose to have child support go through the state. There is a nominal annual fee, but in return, they have resources that you don't. For example, they have the ability to intercept tax refunds, get bank accounts seized...
You can go to court. He could be found in contempt and you could receive a summary judgement for the amount of child support arrears owed. He can respond - an get - a downward modification based on his involuntary income reduction. Note: it will not be reduced to $0.

Note: child support should not be reduced to $0, so his refusal to kick in at least $20 here and there is going to be viewed negatively.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">