• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flying storage container

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Billysitch

What is the name of your state? Fl
My husband was in an accident last night. The vehicle in front of him had a large band equipment storage container improperly tied down on a trailer. The equipment was being moved for a local church. The responding officer said no fault because my husband didn’t see the thing fly off of the vehicle because it happened so fast. He said it would be up to the insurance companies. Now, in the event we aren’t taken care of via their insurance (we do not have full coverage) is the church liable in some manner since this was a person under their employ carting their equipment?
I just tried calling the man who was driving the order vehicle’s insurance and he has not yet filed the claim!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What is involved here? Property damage, personal injury, or both?

The police who responded to the collision don't count when determining fault if they did not witness the collision. Your husband should have reported the accident to his insurance company and contacted the other driver's insurer to file a claim himself. Why would the other driver file a claim when it appears he and his vehicle didn't suffer any damage?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would the other driver file a claim when it appears he and his vehicle didn't suffer any damage?
The insured, generally, is required to notify the insurer about potential claims that may be filed against them.

This happened last night - give it a couple of days.

HighwayMan

The insured, generally, is required to notify the insurer about potential claims that may be filed against them.
Sure, there's a need to report it but not file a claim. I think the OP was a bit confused about how it works. Or maybe the rep she spoke to on the phone was assuming their insured would be filing a claim.

adjusterjack

I just tried calling the man who was driving the order vehicle’s insurance and he has not yet filed the claim!
I suggest you get a copy of the police report and provide it to the other driver's insurance company so they can come down on their policyholder for a statement.

Meantime, if you don't get anywhere that way, use your collision coverage and let your own company seek reimbursement. That's what you pay premiums for.

is the church liable in some manner since this was a person under their employ carting their equipment?
What evidence do you have that the person was "under their employ"?

HighwayMan

Meantime, if you don't get anywhere that way, use your collision coverage and let your own company seek reimbursement. That's what you pay premiums for.
OP said they don't have "full coverage" so I'm sure they don't have collision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">