• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA Disciplinary Action/Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EE1266

I was granted FMLA in November, and was granted 480 hours of Intermittent Leave. I used a total of 42 hours in the year. Our company goes through a third party to handle FMLA, Unum.

On December 20th, 2018 our company always has had a “Christmas Shutdown” until January 2 and has floating holidays to compensate for any lost wages in that time. Upon returning to work, here are the events in question and I wonder as if I should pursue legal action.

-I was called into the office to be told that I was to be terminated for violating my companies attendance policy. We have a 10 point policy, and I had reached 10 points. When I requested that I see the dates, 4 of those dates were approved FMLA absences and I confirmed this with UNUM. I requested confirmations to these dates and received them, as well as let my employer know that those were incorrect. I told them I think it was illegal to discipline me because time missed due to approved FMLA. It was at this moment when the supervisor was surprised that I mentioned legality in this, and retracted the termination stating that he didn’t know if he should terminate me because he has no clear cut communication on what to do. He got an email to him stating “if the FMLA isn’t approved he is terminated”. That was on Dec 16th.

-On 12/16/18 I was only at 6 points, for the year, minus 4 of the FMLA approved ones. I received the Termination notice and told him I think it was wrong, and he said he would let me know what happened because at that point he didn’t know whether to fire me or not.

-On 1/3/2019, I asked him to confirm with HR because those dates should be removed. I received a text with ONE date removed in order to keep me under 10 points. I was still disciplined for the others that were there. I should have 3 more points removed and they have confirmations of this being approved and applicable to FMLA law.

-I confirmed with him via text that I was still being disciplined for those dates even though they were FMLA approved, and he told me that as of that date the points were accurate.

Other Key Points-
-The top of this paper that I received was labeled “Disciplinary Actions For Attendance”. It also states that my employment is terminated due to this.
-Upon telling him that it was incorrect, although one was removed, the others remain. I feel as if they removed one to make sure I don’t get terminated.
-I’m scared to take anymore FMLA days because if I have been retaliated for using them already, what is to stop them from doing it this time?

Another key point, as of January 1, we no longer use UNUM as a third party and UNUM told me of this only when I called in and I was surprised. They told me my FMLA was closed through them because they technically do not handle it anymore. When I was approved, my designation allowed 480 hours from 11/18/18 to 4/18/19. I no longer know even what to do, what I am entitled to, and what procedure needs to happen to request or get FMLA approved. I don’t even know if I am still entitled to the leave already approved and I was supposed to report to UNUM any absences. As of today, I still haven’t received word of them dropping UNUM and I haven’t received any information on my FMLA claim.

Main Questions:
1. Did they violate 29 CFR 825.220(c) counting my absences towards disciplinary actions?
2. Did they violate 29 CFR 825.220(c) by the act of taking disciplinary action towards me with those approved absences?
3. Did they violate 29 CFR 825.114 by technically terminating me and then reversing that decision when faced with the question if it were legal?
4. Are they in violation of 29 CFR 825.300-301 because they have not informed me of any changes, and I no longer know what my rights are because UNUM is no longer involved?
5. Did they violate 29 CFR 825.208(b)(1)-(b)(2) by not telling me that the time I take will be counted towards my FMLA allotment previously approved by the third party? Does this change because my company internally handles all FMLA now? Why was I not informed of any of these changes?
6. Side note; I have been asked what medications I am on because they cause really bad skin irritation and my job likes “bare skin” shaving. I keep it to a stubble because I cannot take a razor to it. I have a doctors note to approve this and although it was approved, the validity of it was questioned and asked “what medications are you on?”. I told them I think that was illegal, and they told me they can ask me anyways.

— I am an outstanding employee. I have no disciplinary actions against me. I missed 6 days total in 2018 due to needs outside of FMLA. I was promoted to a Lead 4 months ago, but stepped down because I felt by me having to take time off due to my condition. I cited that I shouldn’t be in a position that requires the leader to be there at all times and if I am unable to be there, I find that unfair to my colleagues. It was amicable and I returned to a position on the floor.

Through all this, I feel like I started to get treated as if I was a bad employee and immediately feel like it was due to me having to take FMLA and due to me stepping down from my position. I am constantly treated poorly now and the validity of anything I have happen is now in question. It is very uncomfortable.

Help please, should I pursue a lawsuit because of these things? I already no longer feel comfortable taking FMLA because I was punished for those times previously and now it’s just a matter of time before they find some reason to try to remove me. It feels so wrong. I am looking for a new job, but I make ~70,000 without a college degree and it’s hard to find something new. I just want some advice on this and what I need to do.

Thank you in advance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What 12 month period does your employer use for FMLA renewal? Also, did you meticulously follow the proper call in procedures for each absence? Honestly, please; your options differ if you made any mistakes along the way.

EE1266

I was meticulous in regards to the call in procedure. It is that:
1.You notify the company within 48 hours of the FMLA leave
2. You notify the third party administrator of the claim for approval
3. You call in to let them know that you will be absent due to FMLA.

In all instances, I reported my claim immediately, to both the third party admin and to my employer. I also called in every time. This is all documented as well.

In regards to the 12 month period, I’m not sure anymore because as of 1/1/2019 they dropped the third party administrator for FMLA claims and I’m not sure who handles it anymore because my employer hasn’t informed me of anything. The only reason I know that is because when I contacted UNUM for confirmation they stated my case had been closed due to my company no longer using them as a third party. They also confirmed all my absences were in fact approved though, and sent me confirmations. I have absolutely no idea of anything in regards to who handles, what I have left, or what to do in the event I need to use FMLA now.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. Thanks for the info. We've had a lot of people who don't like to admit when they've not followed the rules, and it can make a difference to the options.

In your case, I can't tell for certain if a violation has taken place. It is not unusual for an investigation of this type, particularly when there is a change of vendors, to take longer than three business days. This is also an exceedingly busy time for HR in general, so I hesitate to assume that they've gone as far as they plan to do in investigating your issue. And if they are still investigating and you go immediately into taking legal action, that is officially what you might call a Bad Career Move. I strongly recommend that you wait at least a week, if not two, and if you still have not heard anything contact HR and ask for an update.

If you eventually establish that they are going no further in investigating your situation and want to make a complaint of violation, here's now.

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/fmla/13.aspx

EE1266

They have investigated it as of last night due to them revising the disciplinary action sheet to reflect that they removed one point. After that, it was stated that all other points are final and that I am still being punished in accordance to my attendance policy *even knowing* about the approved FMLA.

EE1266

How many appeal processes would suffice? I appealed once and they removed only 1 of the 4 approved ones. Should I continue to seek it? Is that the best route of things at this point

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have worked in HR and in Benefits for almost 40 years - it will be 40 years this coming June. I have a very good idea what is going on in your HR office right now at the beginning of the new year and with at least one new vendor. Some of the records CANNOT be transferred from the old vendor to the new one until after the first of the year. They have probably had about 750 fires per day to put out this week and your situation is not going to be their first order of business, nor should it be. I really do think it would be in your best interest to give this more time and to make another appeal. It would be even more in your best interest if you give them a couple of days before you call. Don't think I don't understand the anxiety involved; I do. But right now they are running as fast as they can to keep three steps behind and they're going to give a lot more goodwill to someone who understands that they are not the only employee with an issue they need to look at. If you've been terminated, file for unemployment; that can't hurt and it might help. It's a completely separate issue and being awarded UI does not mean that they did anything wrong. I don't know yet if they did or didn't. But they're more likely to be willing to look at the issue objectively if you work with them and don't fight with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">