• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fmla discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clmartindaniel

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? georgia
I have worked for a large telecommunications co for 14 1/2 yrs. I was terminated in nov 2001 for unsat attendance (6 1/2 days)there seems to be a trend with this comp. once you have used your fmla, after just a few abscences you are terminated there are numerous employees that are in my same shoes. Furthermore when you are terminated for unsat attendance, you are ineligible for your severance pay. In my case it would have been several thousand dollars. I believe my comp is discrimating against employ who are taking advantage of there federal rights. A large part of my job was sales & if your not there your not selling which seems to be the bottom line with my comp.At the very least I feel I'm entitled to my severance pay. I'm having trouble finding a atty willing to take this hugh corporation on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Beth3

Without knowing what the employer's attendance policy is and whether employees who were absent as frequently who didn't take FMLA were disciplined in a similar manner, it's not possible to say whether your employer engaged in retalliation or not.

If you believe there was a violation of the FMLA, you don't have to hire an attorney. You can file a complaint with the federal Department of Labor who will investigate. The DOL is not going to negotiate severance for you though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">