• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nync

What is the name of your state? NC
Can an employer make you fill out FMLA papers if you're going to be out of work, but have enough sick time to cover it? My employer does this and my concern is that if you use up 8 weeks of paid time, can they subtract that from the 12 weeks you are allowed to be out as UNPAID per year under the FMLA law? I don't think this is right. I think the FMLA should only come into effect if you are out of time you can use and are out unpaid. Please help me clarify this. I want to call the corporate offices about this but I want to know that I'm right before I do.
Thank you, Rhonda

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are not right. FMLA specifically permits an employer to require the use of vacation and/or sick time as part of your FMLA. You don't get to use all your sick time and then get 12 weeks on top of that. How would that be fair to employees who don't have that kind of sick time available?

Your employer is entirely legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">