• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA status revealed to a third party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pittguy53178

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

This is a strange case. I had an ex girlfriend who has some of my personal belongings. She has been playing games. She calls me and tells me that she is going to give them back to me then disappears. This girl has a host of issues-that is why I broke up with her. She is a compulsive liar and can't stay sober.

This is where it gets strange. She calls my employer today to make a false accusation that I have used company time/property to contact her. That is definitely not the case. I knew she was a bit off so I have never used any company property to contact her, and only did it after hours.
That is a whole different situation altogether.

The crazy thing is someone from my company revealed that I was out on leave. That is true. It is stress related. However, she used it to belittle me via text messages saying I am weak, etc. I contacted HR to find out who revealed it. I have a feeling it was my supervisor. I don't think she did it intentionally or for malicious reasons. However, I do think she violated my rights and the person that called her used it to cause me emotional distress.
I am not sure what to do, if anything, in this case.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

This is a strange case. I had an ex girlfriend who has some of my personal belongings. She has been playing games. She calls me and tells me that she is going to give them back to me then disappears. This girl has a host of issues-that is why I broke up with her. She is a compulsive liar and can't stay sober.

This is where it gets strange. She calls my employer today to make a false accusation that I have used company time/property to contact her. That is definitely not the case. I knew she was a bit off so I have never used any company property to contact her, and only did it after hours.
That is a whole different situation altogether.

The crazy thing is someone from my company revealed that I was out on leave. That is true. It is stress related. However, she used it to belittle me via text messages saying I am weak, etc. I contacted HR to find out who revealed it. I have a feeling it was my supervisor. I don't think she did it intentionally or for malicious reasons. However, I do think she violated my rights and the person that called her used it to cause me emotional distress.
I am not sure what to do, if anything, in this case.

duplicate post?

Beth3

However, I do think she violated my rights and the person that called her used it to cause me emotional distress.

There was nothing illegal about your employer telling your ex-GF (or anyone else) that you are out on leave. Any emotional distress you have experienced as a result is not because your employer informed her you were on leave but because you have a wacko ex-GF.

Unless the property of yours that she has is valuable, I suggest you just assume your stuff is gone forever and permanently sever any contact with her. Or you can sue her in small claims court for the value of your property but that is only going to exacerbate the problems you've having with her. I also suggest you block her text messages if possible.

Explain to your employer that unfortunately your ex-girlfriend is a nut case, that you've already ended the relationship, and to please ignore any further calls from her should it happen again. Apologize for an inconvenience she has caused or may cause and then just let this go. And by all means, steer clear of her.

If she really goes bonkers, then by all means get a restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">