• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA/STD/LTD re: maternity leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joanne2307

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN

I am currently eligible for 12 weeks of FMLA and also eligible for STD (12 weeks) /LTD (after 12 weeks). I am pregnant, but went out on disability on 2/5/05 due to back troubles. My due date is April 13th. Normally, the policy offers 6 weeks of STD within the 12 weeks of FMLA leave beginning the date you give birth.

My 12 weeks of FMLA will end on April 22nd. However, supposing for sake of argument that I deliver on my due date, will I still be eligible for 6 weeks of disability pay after the birth--regardless of FMLA? STD until 2/22 and LTD until 5/27? What if I am terminated after my 12 weeks FMLA...am I still eligible for LTD pay until 5/27. Thanks so much for your help, I know this is a confusing question!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Joanne, this is not a legal question; it is a contractual question. It depends entirely on the exact wording of your disability policy.

I have never seen, and only once heard of, a disability plan under which benefits ceased on the day your employment terminates, but it is possible and would not violate the law. As with the question currently next to yours, it depends entirely on what the policy says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">