• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA & The Sacrifices We Make While Some Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strategos

I'm sure most of you, if not all who view this post, have heard of "FMLA". I will try to make this as short as possible so that you can reply. I work in a union shop, I also hold a position on the committee. From time to time I have to deal with members abusing the FMLA policy guidelines and have to turn a blind eye torward the issue because it is a "HR" matter. Unfortunately, this situation falls on everyone's shoulders because of the direct negative effect it has on production in our manufacturing plant - do to their absence.

For example: I have to deal with an individual who claims he has neck problems and has signed up for FMLA which allows him to use intermittenly. The funny thing is, he has a business on the side which invloves physical labor and running around on equipment that bounces you around - like, cutting grass on a lawn mower... get my drift? The company's HR director knows of the matter, and has seen this individual conducting business while out on FMLA, but is terrified to do anything about it. This past week, another individual applied for FMLA because of a physical limitation, but he can work on the weekend but not on Tue - Fri. He recently applied for another job in the city and put in his resignation but not until the end of Sept. Wow, get this, he threatend the union because he knows of another individual using FMLA to run his business and if we don't represent him, he'll file discrimination charges! Ouch!

What, if anything - can be done? I've read some of the "HR" sites but it seems as if the company is the one who gets the egg in the face for the problem. From a union stand point, we can't do anything but represent the member. I find that crazy but we have to do - what we do... Good, bad, or indiffernt. What makes me so upset is that unions do have a lot of good for the working class but we have the bad members that make us look like we're a bunch of "mobsters".

strategos

My Bad - I'm New

Beg your pardon, I didn't realize I posted in the wrong topic until it was applied... How can I repost to get the proper feed back so that I don't waste your precious time and avoid the whinning?

Beth3

Dealing with FMLA abuse (which unfortunately is a very wide spread problem) is up to your company's management. I don't see that there is anything you can do as it's simply not within your power to do anything about it. There definitely ARE things HR can do to deal with the abuse, particularly abuse this egregious, but if they're unwilling to take the necessary steps to do so, that's unfortunate but you can't force them to do anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">