• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA; who qualifies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heightsgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Occurring in NJ

My great aunt (94 y/o) lives with my mother and has lived with her for the last 25 years. My mother has always claimed my great aunt as a dependent. Recently, my great aunt has began to suffer from some medical issues and is needing regular care at the dr's. My mother's workplace is co operative about giving her time off if advanced notice is given, but the problem comes up when something unexpectedly happens. (my nan fell a few weeks back :eek: and my mother got a call at work from the home health aide that suggested she come home to take my nan to the ER) I mentioned FMLA, but don't know if this would work for her because my nan doesn't fall under the "immediate family".

Are there any exceptions to this?

My nan is currently in rehab as she suffered a stable facture from her fall and is learning how to rewalk. She will continue to have a home health aide when she returns home, but we are finally realizing that we need to have some plans in place in case there is another accident or unforseen situation. (after all, she is 94)

My great aunt never had any children of her own.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Occurring in NJ

My great aunt (94 y/o) lives with my mother and has lived with her for the last 25 years. My mother has always claimed my great aunt as a dependent. Recently, my great aunt has began to suffer from some medical issues and is needing regular care at the dr's. My mother's workplace is co operative about giving her time off if advanced notice is given, but the problem comes up when something unexpectedly happens. (my nan fell a few weeks back :eek: and my mother got a call at work from the home health aide that suggested she come home to take my nan to the ER) I mentioned FMLA, but don't know if this would work for her because my nan doesn't fall under the "immediate family".

Are there any exceptions to this?

My nan is currently in rehab as she suffered a stable facture from her fall and is learning how to rewalk. She will continue to have a home health aide when she returns home, but we are finally realizing that we need to have some plans in place in case there is another accident or unforseen situation. (after all, she is 94)

My great aunt never had any children of her own.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, this would not qualify for FMLA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">