• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA Wisconsin? Caring for spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dady24

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Hello all. My name is Denver.
My wife is about 18 wks along and has been diagnosed with Placenta previa . This is our 5th child and the doctor may be putting her on bed rest. She has had very low birth wieghts with all of our other children. We have 4 other children ranging in ages of 7yrs to 3yrs old.

I am a restaurant manager and made my schedule to help my wife when the kids come home from school. My Employer says that I can not continue with the schedule that i am working. That I'm not at the store enough.
My question is am I able to take FMLA leave to help my wife? What kind of documentation is required? She is scheduled for a c-section in Feb. 06. If I give notice soon I may be able to be off for the remainder of her pregnancy.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
Denver

Beth3

You qualify for WFMLA if the following conditions apply:

1) The company employs at least 50 individuals, and
2) You have worked for the company for at least 52 consecutive weeks and have worked for the employer at least 1,000 hours during the preceeding 52-week period ("hours worked" includes all hours for which you were paid, i.e. time actually worked, paid holidays, paid vacation, etc.)

If both of those apply, then you qualify for up to six weeks of unpaid family leave. If you wish, you may also take partial leave in increments of less than a full workday if the employer allows any other leave to be taken in increments of less than a full work day. For example, if employees are allowed to take paid vacation in 1/2 day increments, then you must be allowed to take Wisconsin family leave in 1/2 day increments if you wish.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Beth - just a quick question since WI has its own FMLA; does WFMLA run concurrently with, or consecutively after, Federal FMLA? (assuming that the employee qualifies for both).

Beth3

Concurrently. If the poster also qualifies for federal FMLA, he's eligible for 12 weeks in total, not 6 weeks of WFMLA + 12 weeks of FMLA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">