• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fmla

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pelder

What is the name of your state? IOWA

In a couple of weeks I'm having hernia surgery. The Doctor has certified me for six weeks of fmla. My employer is giving me the six weeks paid and it does not count against my sick leave or my vacation. My question is: Can I leave my home ( if I'm able ) to do essential errands or do I have to lock myself in the house the entire six weeks? I' not talking about anything physical, just going from sitting at home, to sitting in a car, to the store and back or sitting at my childs concert, or sitting in a resturant etc.
WA

ecmst12

That's really between you and your doctor. It has nothing to do with your employer. I mean, if someone happens to see you turning cartwheels or something while you're supposed to be recovering from surgery, they might raise an eyebrow, but I don't think anyone would expect you to be homebound for the entire 6 weeks. And as long as your doctor certifies the need for leave, it's really none of your employer's business how you spend it (so long as they don't have a reason to suspect fraud).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">