• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Muhriuh

What is the name of your state?
Minnesota

Hello, so I've been using fmla for a few months now. I got fired n wondering if it's a real reason to fire someone.
My store area advisor fired me because I told a worker that was currently working, to go deliver pizza, because the person that was scheduled couldn't come in. I work at gas station btw. It's company policy to have a delivery driver to take a background check first and this guy wasn't yet. And I talked to my area advisor about shutdown pizza deliver because the lack of employees. She said I couldn't shut down delivery no matter what. So one of the employees delivered it because I couldn't with my recently disabled daughter who needed me hence the fmla. I was fired for letting him go on pizza delivery. Because I had no one else. And 2 weeks earlier my area advisor made me shut the store down because of no employees. N I was in the store alone. Being in the store alone violates company policy. But advisor just made me shut store down alone. Just wondering if this lady had a right to fire me. So that was her visiting company policy as well.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Please edit you ^ post. It's very hard to make out what the situation is given all the misspellings.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FMLA only protects you from being fired for taking FMLA. It does not protect you from being fired for other reasons.

commentator

It sounds as though the manager thought you should've perhaps, not delivered this pizza? Hard to tell, but there's nothing illegal about her deciding to fire you for this reason which appears to be completely unrelated to your FMLA, way too big a stretch to say, "I couldn't do the delivery because of my recently handicapped daughter....." so I was fired for using FMLA. It just will not fly, is not that closely related. You can, of course file for unemployment benefits while seeking another job. Don't spend a lot of time talking, when looking for new jobs, about your family issues or health care problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">