• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too close

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

Paying for the ticket isn't your only problem here; you also need to be aware that if you're found guilty and your insurance company finds out (and they will), your premium is going to be increased.

I concur with most of the posters in this thread that you will not be able to beat this ticket (do note, I'm not saying that it's not possible, but if you don't have a lawyer with you, I just wouldn't count on it). With that said, do you have a clean driving record? If you do, bring it to court so that you can attempt to use it as leverage to get yourself a plea bargain (which is somewhat along the lines of the advice your sister gave you). Hopefully the lesser offense you get offered will be a non-moving violation so that your insurance will not be affected.

If and when it is determined that you need to pay a fine, do whatever you can to pay it on time. Things will get a lot worse for you if you end up not paying it off. Borrow money if you need to (hey, maybe your lawyer sibling would be nice enough to share some of her money with you :D )

stmorgan27

yeah I know my insurance will go up. she just became a lawyer this summer, so she doesn't have money now, but her husbands a lawyer too, so they should be loaded in the future.

Should I plead guilty, but tell the judge what happened, like the cop going 5mph in a 25 and not driving safely?

My driving record is not going to help at all. its really bad, but I've learned from it and have not gotten a ticket in 3 years until now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">