• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Font use as company logo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingRon

Jeffrey has the semblance correct but the terms wrong.

What can not be protected by copyright is the TYPEFACE. That is, the appearance of the characters. The font, which is the method of producing that typeface in various configurations, which on computers is essentially a program, can be protected by copyright.

Note that the font/typeface names can be very much protected by trademark. For example, Microsoft created the a font to replace the Helvetica one, partially because they wouldn't have to license the font and called it Arial to avoid clashing with Monotype's trademark.

quincy

This thread is from January 2019.
Please look at posting dates. Old threads are for reference purposes only and should not be revived with additional comments or questions.

quincy

Because this was Jeffrey’s first post after registering, he might not have been aware of the rules on this forum. With luck, he knows better now. :)

zddoodah

Copyright does not authorize any copyright to a font design that they have created. So anyone can create a logo using any available font.

While a font cannot be copyrighted
This is wrong, and I'm not sure why you're resurrecting a thread that's nearly a year and a half old.

quincy

This is wrong, and I'm not sure why you're resurrecting a thread that's nearly a year and a half old.
That has already been addressed. Jeffrey’s post was already reported to the moderator and replaced.

Please do not add to old threads. Thank you.

quincy

Sorry Everyone This is my mistake I will be very careful in future.
That’s okay.

Make sure that you not only look at posting dates but also that you post only accurate information. If you are not familiar with the law, it is better if you refrain from responding.

Once again, this thread is from January 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">