• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Font use as company logo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zr0bot

Forgive me, i'm sure this has been covered in some form already. Not quite sure how trademarks/copyrights work for font use. The font for the iconic Nasa logo (called "Nasalization" font") is available to customize on many font generator websites (image below). If I wanted to use this font to spell out my company name (not in any way similar to "NASA") as the official logo, would I be infringing on any rights? This would be a production company logo that we'd use on album art and on merchandise for sale on our website. Thanks in advance.

quincy

I'm in California.
Thank you for providing your state name.

The font requires licensing but, as long as the license allows for it (and I believe it does), and as long as your company name and/or company logo design are original to you (not confusingly similar to another's), you can use the font for the purposes you describe.

I recommend you read the licensing terms carefully.

Good luck.

Last edited:

zr0bot

Thank you for providing your state name.

The font requires licensing but, as long as the license allows for it (and I believe it does), and as long as your company name and/or company logo design are original to you (not confusingly similar to another's), you can use the font.

I recommend you read the licensing terms carefully.

Good luck.
Thank you for the quick reply. Will do!

FlyingRon

I'm going to do one of my rare disagreements with Quincy.

What you have here is not a FONT but a TYPEFACE. Typefaces are not protectable by copyright. You can roll them into your trademark as you like.

A font is the process (in this case the computer files) to make a typeface. The font is protectable by copyright. As long as you have obtained your fonts by legitimate means (either using ones truly under the public domain or via appropriate license), then you can do what you want with the output generated.

Here's a pretty good treatment: https://www.crowdspring.com/blog/font-law-licensing/

quincy

I'm going to do one of my rare disagreements with Quincy.

What you have here is not a FONT but a TYPEFACE. Typefaces are not protectable by copyright. You can roll them into your trademark as you like.

A font is the process (in this case the computer files) to make a typeface. The font is protectable by copyright. As long as you have obtained your fonts by legitimate means (either using ones truly under the public domain or via appropriate license), then you can do what you want with the output generated.

Here's a pretty good treatment: https://www.crowdspring.com/blog/font-law-licensing/
You can disagree but the designer of Nasalization and Adobe call it a font. :)

I never mentioned copyright protection. I mentioned licensing. Licensing is necessary.

FlyingRon

Eh? If there isn't copyright, there isn't any need to license. Despite what people CALL it, under the law the depiction of the letters is a TYPEFACE and not protectable.

FlyingRon

Yeah, so no problem. Presumably, that's been taken care of by the website he's using. The output is not subject to protection.

quincy

Yeah, so no problem. Presumably, that's been taken care of by the website he's using. The output is not subject to protection.
Okay. We agree on licensing but disagree on what Nasalization is. I would call it a font because the designer and Adobe call it a font. :)

Last edited:

JefferyOllsan

You can use any font to design a logo, regardless of who created it.

Copyright does not authorize any copyright to a font design that they have created. So anyone can create a logo using any available font.

While a font cannot be copyrighted, the digital font file copyright itself may be protected. Therefore, you cannot buy one font online and give it away or sell it to someone else. The code used to reproduce the font on your computer or printer is copyrighted, but the font design is not.

So if you Designing a logo using Hoefler & Co's Gotham, and converting letterforms to a vector format, you can safely provide the vector file to your client for use. But you can't give them a copy of the font file that they can use. They had to buy their own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">