• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foodstamps refusal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My gf has been refused Foodstamps because she's in colledge, can they legally do that?
Maybe. Feel free to have her log on to inquire about her own matters.

Please make sure that she tells us what US state she is in.

LdiJ

Maybe. Feel free to have her log on to inquire about her own matters.

Please make sure that she tells us what US state she is in.
They CAN do that if someone is in college...particularly someone who is getting student loans with leftover money after tuition and books.

xylene

Unless certain other criteria are met, than yes, in most (all I think) states being enrolled more than half time in college or in a degree program that normally requires high school diploma or its equivalent is disqualifying for food stamps.

Zigner

They CAN do that if someone is in college...particularly someone who is getting student loans with leftover money after tuition and books.
I agree with you.

Now, to parse it some (to see why I said "maybe"): They cannot refuse foodstamps solely on the basis of the recipient being in college. There are other factors that are commonly in play when one is in college that could cause one to not be eligible for foodstamps. Had the OP been the actual person who had this happening to them, I would have been more clear on my answer, but it's not, so I wasn't.

Zigner

Unless certain other criteria are met, than yes, in most (all I think) states being enrolled more than half time in college or in a degree program that normally requires high school diploma or its equivalent is disqualifying for food stamps.
...and I suspect that the student KNOWS why she was disqualified. Of course, we're not dealing with the student in question here ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">