• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? for Chicago area - accepting out of state judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaP777

What is the name of your state? OHIO, but question also pertains to property in Illinois

I had a tenant who lived in Chicago (owns a house) and was here in Cincinnati for temporary work. It was going along great, until his wife in Chicago, found out about his girlfriend, here in Ohio. Wife gave tenant ultimatum ("Get back to Chicago now, or we're done!"). Tenant left immediately, bailing on lease with no notice ("I'm out!") moving back to his house in Illinois. I sued him in small claims court and won the judgment, maximum in Ohio is $3000.
Now for my questions;
How do I get the courts in Illinois to recognize/accept a judgement from here in Ohio? (Is this something I can file myself?)
How can I place a lien on this guys house in Chicago.
If prefer to do this (filing & lien) myself through the mail, if possible.
If I need a lawyer for this kind of work, are there any forumites who an recomend a good one in Chicago-land? (Yes, I know I can click on "find a lawyer" in the upper right hand corner but prefer a personal recommendation if possible. If you prefer to send a PM, feel free.)
THANKS!

ecmst12

I don't know the law but I know what you want to look up is how to "domesticate a judgement" in IL. Try googling that :)

LindaP777

Thanks for that insight! I have e-mailed Cook County with questions about how to domesticate a judgement. It would be lovely if they respond!
I will also call the Cook County State Attorney's office on Monday and see if they can help me. (Posted below for my reference on Monday)
Civil Actions
Richard J. Daley Center
Room 500
50 W. Washington
Chicago, Il. 60602
(312) 603-5440

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">