• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For consumer electronics, do you have to take the resolution the manufacture offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvl

What is the name of your state? California

In Late Dec 2018 we purchased a very expensive massage chair. It has a 5 year manufacture warranty. It's been through 4 repairs since we've had it and now it's due for another, we had about 2 or 3 months worth of usage but over all it's not working as it should. They offered a white glove delivery on a replacement chair but at this point, I've lost faith in the reliability of their product. I asked them to just take the chair back and refund me, it'll be cheaper for them rather than sending the chair back and forth twice. The technical support guy referred me back to the sales guys. I want to know my rights before reaching out to the sales guys. Any advice on this matter?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Your rights and obligations are spelled out in the warranty you received when you bought the chair. If the warranty says the seller has the right to replace the chair with a new one when repairs don't work out then you are likely stuck with that outcome. So take out the warranty and read what it says.

xylene

Your 'loss of faith' is not a product defect.

I suspect they will insist on replacement.

There is no 'lemon law' on this type of consumer product in the way with automobiles. Plus the manufacturer is working with you.

Mass_Shyster

You want to make sure the replacement chair also comes with a warranty. I've seen issues where an item is replaced under warranty, but the replacement does not have a warranty, leaving the purchaser with a defective item and no recourse.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You want to make sure the replacement chair also comes with a warranty. I've seen issues where an item is replaced under warranty, but the replacement does not have a warranty, leaving the purchaser with a defective item and no recourse.
Oftentimes, the remainder of the original warranty applies to the replacement. Of course, the specific terms of the OP's warranty are what controls, so the OP likely has no wiggle room on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">