• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For Sale By Owner Signs against Condo Rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdecort

Atlanta, Georgia

Trying to sell my condo (for sale by owner) and received letter from association saying it's against the covenants to post a sign inside my window. We are a gated community only open 4 hours a day and have no cork board or posting area whatsoever. We are allowed to post a sign outside the community only on the weekend otherwise the President pulls them down.

I'm looking for an article or law that says they have to have an alternative (ie. posting station) otherwise they can't get involved when I use this means of marketing. At least 4 more homes are for sale and I've only seen one take down their signage.

Help!

HUD-1

If posting signs in your window is in violation of the bylaws, you will have to take it down. Many condos have rules against signs, otherwise they could be covered with numerous political, for sale and tag sale signs. I don't think you will find that they have to provide you with an alternative site for posting. Check your bylaws. It sounds like your best bet it to post a sign outside the gate on the weekends and maybe advertise in the local paper.

HomeGuru

The right to post signs in condo projects in violation of house rules/ By-Laws was challenged due to the right to freedom of speech.
You could win if your signage was such that you were just invoking your freedom of speech rights ie. placing a sign that read "God Bless America", a Christian symbol such as a cross or fish etc.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
The right to post signs in condo projects in violation of house rules/ By-Laws was challenged due to the right to freedom of speech.
You could win if your signage was such that you were just invoking your freedom of speech rights ie. placing a sign that read "God Bless America", a Christian symbol such as a cross or fish etc.

My response:

So, Homie, by using your excellent argument, I would think that our writer would have the right to post his sign as long as it says, "For Sale By God" with a picture of a little haloed angel on a puff of cloud, holding a Realtor's briefcase.

IAAL

HomeGuru

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

My response:

So, Homie, by using your excellent argument, I would think that our writer would have the right to post his sign as long as it says, "For Sale By God" with a picture of a little haloed angel on a puff of cloud, holding a Realtor's briefcase.

IAAL

**A: only if God was in fact a paid (or honorary) member of the National Association of Realtors, the halo was real, the briefcase exhibited the approved registered Realtor logo and the background music was Ray Charles singing....Georgia....
Georgia......I got Georgia on my mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">