• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forbidden to take vacation any 4th week of any month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mallards

What is the name of your state? AZ

Our employer has just sent out notice that we are forbidden to take vacation the last day of any month unless we have already met our sales quota.

We are exempt employees but are they allowed to restrict our time off because they are unable to meet the sales quota's that they have set and they are unable to properly staff their company ?

The handbook states: Non-exempt Team Members may use PTO in half-hour increments, except that each occurrence of PTO is a minimum of one hour. Exempt Team Members may use PTO in half-day or full-day increments. PTO is entered in Kronos. A maximum of 5 consecutive PTO days may be scheduled at one time. For days in excess of this amount, Team Members must seek pre-approval from their manager. All Team Members request PTO no less than 5 business days prior to the requested day(s) of absence. Managers utilize their discretion when approving or denying PTO requests.

Can they limit our ability to take our PTO by 25% based on sales performance?

It should also be noted that the businesses that we manage used to be staffed by 6-7 ppl 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, they continue to cut staff and we now have 4ppl (including the manager). We are busier now than 2 years ago and have been stripped from 7 ppl to 4 ppl. I have not taken a full 1 hour lunch more than 3 times in the past 2 years. 98% of the time, I take 15 minutes at my desk to eat a sandwich while responding to company emails.

Thanks.

Abused

pattytx

The employer is allowed to restrict the taking of time off as he/she wishes. There is no legal requirement that you be able to take vacation time any time you want.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They can limit your use of PTO based on any criteria they want. They can even dictate exactly when you CAN take it, as in, "Mary will take her vacation between June 1 and June 14; Joe will take his vacation between June 15 and June 30...".

Vacation or PTO is not required by any law. It is entirely up to the employer whether to offer it, how much to offer, and establish the ground rules as to when and under what circumstances it can be taken.

mallards

One other thing I should mention is that this is not a company wide initiative. This restriction has been placed on 1 of 7 regions nationwide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">