• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced 2 pay 4 medical package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jojobeana

I live in California. Is it legal to FORCE me to take a medical benefit package when I don't want it? I am a teacher. The district says I have NO OPTIONS and have to pay nearly $300.00 per month for the medical benefits package that I'll never use, as I am well (better) covered through my spouses benefits. Thanks :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In many cases an employer may have an agreement with the insurance carrier that there will be 100% participation. In those cases often when an employee provides proof of spousal coverage, the insurance carrier will accept that as meeting the 100% participation agreement.

Have you asked whether or not proof of spousal coverage will be acceptable? If not, go directly to the insurance carrier. Give them the group and policy numbers - they HAVE to have that to give you an accurate answer - and ask them directly whether or not there is a 100% participation clause in the contract and if so, will proof of spousal coverage be accepted. If the answer to both questions is yes, ask them to fax or e-mail you something to that effect that you can show the district.

If the answer to either question is no, you will need to contact your state insurance commission to find out if you can be forced to pay for coverage you don't want under your state's regs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">