• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Caretaker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WWKaren

My mother has the capacity to make her own decisions. She has some memory problems. She is not diagnosed with dementia. The doctor tells me that she needs 24x7 supervision. I told the doctor I could not provide that. The doctor says she could leave the stove on and start a fire. My mother has not done that. She manages her own meds and the only help she needs from me is to drive her where she wants to go and help her remember what the doctor says. I am on disability with a stress related disorder and can not take on being a caretaker for my mother 24x7. My mother and I do not believe she needs a caretaker or that it is necesssary to go into a home at this point. But the doctor tells me I have to provide it. My mother and I own a house together and I do for her what I can.

SHe has her meds, her food. SHe is well taken care of.
Am I legally required to take on the role of caretaker. Are she and I legally required to have her supervised 24x7? Can the doctor require her to have continuous care without putting it in her medical records? If the lawyer did the right tests, and put it in the medical records, my mothers long term care insurance would cover. My mother does not want to go into a home. Is she legally required to go to one if she does not have a caretaker?
If I want to find a local lawyer to discuss issues with, what kind of lawyer should I search for?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Am I legally required to take on the role of caretaker. Are she and I legally required to have her supervised 24x7?
No. You never have the obligation to take on the role of caretaker and so long as your mother is mentally competent she can decide for herself how much or how little care she will receive. The doctor may only make recommendations; the doctor has no power himself/herself to compel either her or you to do anything. If the doctor believes she is not being properly taken care of the doctor may report what he or she knows to the appropriate state agency in your state that handles issues regarding abuse and care of the elderly.

t74

Does the long term care policy provide for in-home assistance?

Have you sought help/advice from your local senior services agency?

I would expect there are options to assist in her care without her being placed in a total care/assisted living facility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">