• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced cashout of vacation time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zbenye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California-->Colorado

For many years, the large company I work for allowed us unlimited carry-over of unused vacation days. Two years ago they changed the policy: they record your balance at the end of September; then, the following September (end of fiscal year) you are allowed to have up to the number of accrued vacation days as previously recorded; anything over that is cashed out - paid to you at your regular daily rate. The intention is to gradually lower the carried-over days. Fair enough.

This year I used up 28 days and at the end of September had a balance of 35 days, well under the balance recorded last year, so I should have been fine (not getting anything cashed out). Today, I got an email that read: the vacation policy has been changed; the company has decided that anyone who had a balance at the end of September between 30.1 and 39.9 days, will be lowered to 30 days; 5 vacation days will be cashed out and paid to me in the November 30th paycheck."

Can a company legally apply such a policy change retroactively, and force me to take payment in lieu of vacation days? I like taking time off. Had they announced the policy change before the end of the fiscal year, I would have gone on another trip to avoid a cashout. Do I have any option?

If it matters, I was a resident of California until I moved to Colorado on 11/1, still with the same company, which is incorporated in DE and headquartered in MO.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal in all 50 states for an employer to force a cash out instead of allowing time off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">