• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced heirsminors/probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?California
Father passed away 2 years ago in PR. Inheritance law in PR is based on forced heirs, meaning that if my father had 3 kids eveything needs to be devided equally by three. With a will father could have disposed of only one third of his estate the other 2/3 could only go to his 3 children evenly. He left no will
1. Brother is a disabled minor conserved by the courts, mother is his conservator.
2. my father was single.
3. mother, for practical reasons, asked me to convience my father to gift my sister real property exeeding $50,000. My father wanted to give it to my disabled brother but mother did not because she did not want court interfereance. Prior to his passing ,father advised me this would not be good for me, I convienced him otherwiswe.
4. Mother and sister are basically forcing me to an illegal private division of his estate. I say illegal because of my brother's standing with the courts. The courts administer my brother's assets. If his estate was probated the courts would recall all gits, specially those of real estate property for evaluation of the other heirs rights, plus they would administer my brother's portion of the inheritance.

So far every time I pose a question regarding his estate the attorney and my mother decide that I am difficult and not reasonable. They have asked me for powers of attorney to share accounts with my siblings in order for the division to proceed privatelly, so far I have denied any such powers that do not guarantee me an equal share. They have endorsed and deposited checks without my concent. Relations are quite deteriorated and the only way for me to really know what is going on is to hire my own attorney. In consulting other attorneys they have told me that they will not loose their license in a private division so I would have to agree to go to court no matter were the ships fall for my mother, sister and current attorney.

I have signed no contract with the current attorney,though he told me that I owe him money for his services, I have received no legal documents from anyone, I received a check for $8,000 but not the full amount, full amount of my portion has not been informed to me, I was asked for a power of attorney to dispose of one car while they dispose of the other without my consent.

any suggestions?
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential