• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psmith1999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?memphis
i want to know what can i do. my job just had open enrollment for insurance,
i did not turn my paper work in time. so am i stuck paying for insurance that i cant afford.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What makes you think there's anything you can do?

Federal law dictates when an employer can allow an employee to make changes to their insurance. It was your responsibilty to turn in your paperwork on time and you didn't do it. Your employer is now barred by law from allowing you to make changes until the next open enrollment unless you have a qualifying event (marriage, birth, death, divorce, change in spousal insurance status), at which time you will be able to make whatever changes may be applicable to the event.

The only thing you can do is very politely go to your employer and very humbly admit your mistake and plead with them to take your paperwork now. If open enrollment has closed, they are not legally obligated to do so and they cannot be legally compelled to, but they may *possibly* consider it. If they do not agree to take your paperwork now, then you are stuck with insurance you cannot afford for the next year, at which time I suggest you turn your paperwork in on time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">