• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced international travel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

minion

mass,

Can my company fire me if I refuse to travel to China?
I am a salaried engineer and travel is not in my job description. I have already spent 14 weeks in China and do not wish to return. We are never asked if we want to go, we are told that we are going. I was told I have to return to China in March. I do not receive any extra pay for this.:mad:

H

hexeliebe

Sure can. They can even fire you if you refuse to fly to Vienna and that's one place I'd love to go back to.

I am a salaried engineer and travel is not in my job description.
Your job description is not the basis for a legal challenge. Simply put, if you don't go, if you do go or if you fly halfway and then jump, you can be fired.

M

minion

Thanks for the quick reply. Has anyone out there refused to travel and in return was terminated?

H

hexeliebe

I don't know if you'll get an answer to that question because it has no legal basis for what your original question was.

Just remember one thing. Unless you are a member of a protected group (i.e., handicapped, minority, etc.) or your firing is related to a protected class, the company can do whatever it feels is right, even publishing job descriptions then totally ignoring them.

A job description is not a legally binding contract.

Go to China but don't drink the water.

Beth3

I don't know if you'll get a specific reply from someone who's been terminated for this reason, but I can assure you it has happened.

What you need to do is discuss your concerns with your manager and see if their is a compromise that can be reached but if they are adamant they need you to go to China, then your only options are: (1) refuse and be fired; (2) go on the trip, or (3) start looking for a new job that doesn't require international travel and hope you find something before you have to go in March.

HomeGuru

Why not compromise and tell them that you will meet them halfway and will work on Maui.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">