• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced into insane asylum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I caught my girlfriend cheating on me with another man. I was shocked and didn't raise a hand as he assaulted me. I went to the NYC police to file a complaint and get pictures taken of my injuries. They gave me this option: they could arrest us both and let us fight it out in the jailcell or I could voluntarily go see a psychiatrist. I choose the psychiatrist and they called an ambulance.
They said it was just normal procedure, that I had to wear handcuffs. No rights were read and I wasn't under arrest. They took me to a local mental hospital and when I complained to the doctors that I hadn't done anything illegal they said then why were you in handcuffs. I was kept there for observation for 7 days. They had me listed as potentially violent and suicidal.
After my realease I called the original detectives and they said they hated domestic disputes and just wanted it over quickly.
I am stuck with a $10,000 hospital bill and I am terrified to ever go to the police for help. Is there something I can do or will I just get sent away again? Can a calm person be place into hancuffs without an arrest?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential