• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Major Change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Arizona

I currently attending a technical college. Recently my counselor called me to tell me that the campus I was attending was dropping my degree program. She stated that the reasoning for this was there was not enough interest in the program for the school to continue the program (There is only one other student in the program besides me). Reasoning that it was not logical to have a class with only two students in the class room, although my current class sizes average 4-5 students.

My counselor suggested that I change my Bachelor's program from "Data Communications System Technology" to "Computer Network Systems" since they have many classes which are similar. I replied, stating that the program I wished to do was the one I am enrolled in.

My question being, can an institution drop a degree program that currently has enrolled students? I have paid well over $20,000 so far for my education only to have them tell me that I will not be able to finish or continue my bachelor's degree so that they can save money.

Thanks for all the help.


Under the Radar Member
Yep, they sure can. Your options are to change majors as suggested, or look to transfer to a school that continues to offer your degree program and will accept your credits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential