• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to be on call while on vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

workedtodeath

What is the name of your state? La.
Is it legal or just immoral to require an employee to be available while on vacation? Then when they require you to come in (while on vacation) they do not give you additional time off or pay for that day you worked while on vacation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't even think it's immoral. Come on!

Depending on circumstances, POSSIBLY unethical. But immoral? Give me a break.

W

workedtodeath

You are correct. Immoral was a bad chioce. Unethical is the right word. It sounds like to me your employer can tell you to schedule your vacation, approve your vacation, get spouse to schedule vacation at same time, then tell you sorry, you must be available during your vacation time. The Employee handbook states you are given vacation time based on your time with the company. If they make you work during your vacation do they have to pay you or give you extra time off?

workedtodeath said:
You are correct. Immoral was a bad chioce. Unethical is the right word. It sounds like to me your employer can tell you to schedule your vacation, approve your vacation, get spouse to schedule vacation at same time, then tell you sorry, you must be available during your vacation time. The Employee handbook states you are given vacation time based on your time with the company. If they make you work during your vacation do they have to pay you or give you extra time off?
Either learn to be a good little slave or find something else to do. Personally, I think life is too valuable to waste on such bull$hit.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Why don't you wait and see if you actually have a problem before you start getting bent out of shape about it?

Just because the company wants you on call doesn't mean they'll actually call you, or that you'll have to do anything more than possibly answer a question about where the McDermott file is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">