• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to renew over 60 days before lease up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lab10819

I live in Illinois and I leased a house August 2014 for one year. In March I received a letter stating that I had to sign a renewal by April 1st or they would begin showing the house for new tenant in August. When I delivered my April rent I included a note stating that I would be having surgery and could they let me have until May to commit. Today I was told no and they would begin allowing people to see the house immediately if I didn't sign my new lease.
So, here I am laid up from open heart surgery and being told they are showing prospective clients my house as of tomorrow! Is this legal? BTW my actual lease does not state anything about a renewal date. Thanks!

justalayman

yes it's legal. If you aren't going to sign a new lease they want to find a tenant so their empty time is minimized.

BL

L0ok within your lease and see if it mentions any time frame for notice and renewal of lease or termination. Your lease is not up until August,if it,s for 12 months / 1 year.

That's what you follow.

Of course if you do not abide by their wishes you could find yourself with a notice of termination per lease.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

so let them show it, don't bother to do anything extra. I sure as hell didn't feel like doing a lot of housekeeping after my open heart in September. If your LL complains feel free to say ` I just had open heart surgery ` as you give him the one finger salute. Personally I think youre LL is nuts for showing it this soon , I cant imagine many tenants being willing to sign a lease this far ahead. Do make arrangements with family -friends and begin to pack things slowly now and let others move them out of the house so you don't break your sternums joints and place into a self storage so when you do actually move you have almost nothing to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">