• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to take vacation time before layoff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Banjo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I work as a consultant to the automotive industry. Due to a local UAW strike, my customer doesn't currently need my services on a day-to-day basis, however, my company continues to get paid it's "consulting" fee for my services, since we are on a contracted term with the customer. Today, my company told me they will be forcing me to use my vacation time. After my vacation time is consumed, they will explore other options (i'm guessing a temporary layoff). I'm fine with taking a temp. layoff, but I feel that they can't force me to take 3 weeks of paid vacation until then. I'm getting married this year and plan on using my vacation for my honeymoon. A coworker is having a baby next month, he's in the same boat. Can they force me to take vacation, or should i be entitled to unemployment instead. If unemployment, what happens to my healthcare while I'm unemployed (important to the guy that's having a baby).

Current Occupation: Consultant
Which Employer: Current Employer
Length of Employment: 5 years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">