• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to work in middle of vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wartrace

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

I work a 12 hour rotating shift, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2days on...ect.
If I have a vacation set for Mon, Tues,Fri,Sat &Sunday( Wedensday and Thursday would be my "weekend") can they make me work overtime on the Thursday I have as an off day during that week?
As it is right now, according to my boss- I have to talk one of my co-workers into covering my day or come back to work and cover it myself. In other words, we can't go anywhere out of the area for our vacation?

pattytx

Yes, they can ask you to come in our your scheduled day off even though you are not working any of the rest of that week. They can't "make" you come back. Certainly, you should be able to find someone you will trade with you. Go away for your vacation and tell them you will be out of state for the week and you will unable to work that day. ;)

Having said that, in my personal opinion, I think it is poor management to ask an employee to find his own replacement for time off, and especially in your situation, the request shows no the company doesn't seem to care a whole heck of a lot about work-family balance. Adequate staffing is part of the supervisory/management responsibilities, and should not be palmed off to the employee; that's not their job. :(

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">