• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forcing half hour break

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I work in a restaurant and only being given about 35 hours a week at present. According to them, if you work at least 6 hours you must take a legally mandated half hour break. If I did that per 5 days that legally drops me down to 30 hours which is part time.

Anyway, if I prefer not to take a break and work 6-8 hours, do they have any type of legal right to force a half hour break.

pattytx

If you are under age 18, the law requires the employer provide a meal break of at least 30 minutes if you work 5 or more consecutive hours.
L&I: Wage & Hour Division

If you are 18 or over, although the law does not require the meal period, the employer is within his legal rights to require it. In other words, if the employer says you take a meal break, you take a meal break. What you "prefer" is irrelevant. The employer controls the work hours, not the employee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
do they have any type of legal right to force a half hour break.

Yes. They do.

What's more, you do NOT have any type of legal right to say what hours you will and will not work. That right belongs completely to the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">